The 24th House District of Virginia is composed of Rockbridge County, Bath County, parts of Amherst and Augusta Counties, and the cities of Lexington and Buena Vista. It has over 80,000 citizens, 43,000 registered voters, and a rich history steeped in Virginia tradition. It contains four four-year colleges within its borders: Washington & Lee University, Virginia Military Institute, Sweet Briar College, and Southern Virginia University. In addition, it also contains local branches of Dabney S. Lancaster Community College and Central Virginia Community College.
The 24th District also has numerous natural attractions such as the Natural Bridge, Goshen Pass, the James River, the Blue Ridge Parkway, the Mount Pleasant National Scenic Area, Douthat State Park, The Homestead, and hundreds of miles of caverns, forests, and streams. Additionally, the district has many interesting spots to visit such as Hull’s Drive In, Historic Downtown Lexington, the Amherst County Museum & Historical Society, the Rebec and Rockbridge Vineyards, and many other historic and enjoyable locations.
Notable residents from the area include many historic figures from the Civil War era such as Stonewall Jackson and Robert E. Lee. The inventor of the reaper, Cyrus McCormick, was born in Rockbridge County as was Samuel Houston, a former U.S. Senator and the only person in the history of the United States to serve as Governor of two states, Texas and Tennessee. More recent notable residents of the 24th District include Rick Mast, a former NASCAR driver, and Charlie Manuel, manager of the 2008 World Series Champion Philadelphia Phillies baseball team.
Local Government Information & Links
- Rockbridge County Government
- Bath County Government
- Amherst County Government
- Augusta County Government
- City of Lexington Government
- City of Buena Vista Government
State Government Information & Links
- Who's My Legislator?
- Commonwealth of Virginia Website
- Virginia General Assembly
- Virginia State Capitol
- Virginia's Bill Tracking System (LIS)
- Virginia Public Access Project (VPAP)
Federal Government Information & Links
- Federal Government Website
- U.S. House of Representatives
- U.S. Senate
- Congressman Bob Goodlatte
- Senator Tim Kaine
- Senator Mark Warner
- Voter Registration
- Where do I vote?
- Virginia Department of Elections
- Rockbridge County Voter Information
- Bath County Voter Information
- Amherst County Voter Information
- Augusta County Voter Information