Constituent Services

State Agency Assistance

One of my most important responsibilities is to ensure that the state government agencies are working to assist you.  If you are having trouble getting a response from or you need assistance with a state agency, my office is here to help.

To better assist you, please send an email to with a detailed description of the situation and which agency you are dealing with.  Please also include your name, address, and phone number.  Some agencies require an Authorization Form.  Please click here to download this form and return it to my office either by email, fax to (540) 726-5588, or to PO Box 1405, Amherst, Virginia 24521.  If you would like to speak to someone, you may call my district office at (434) 946-9908.

I look forward to being able to help you. Below are several of the common issues I hear about related to state government:

  • Roads – issues related to road maintenance by the Virginia Department of Transportation
  • Driver’s Licenses/License Plates – issues related to your license to drive or issues related to your vehicle plate issued but the Department of Motor Vehicles
  • Veterans – issues related to state benefits through the Virginia Department of Veterans Services
  • Medicaid – issues related to Medicaid and other financial assistance through the Department of Social Services or Department of Medical Assistance Services

Flag Requests

To request a Virginia Flag please call my office at (434) 946-9908, and my office can assist you with the process of purchasing a flag flown over the State Capitol.  You may also purchase the flag yourself by visiting the Virginia Department of General Services’ website here and following the instructions.

Visit the Virginia State Capitol

The Virginia State Capitol building is open to visitors Monday through Saturday 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., and on Sundays from 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. In addition, Capitol Square is open to the public from 6:00 a.m. until 11:00 p.m. daily. The Capitol is closed on Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s Day.

Guided tours are available for walk in visitors as well as groups with tour appointments.  If you have a group of ten or more, you should make tour reservations in advance.

The main entrance of the Capitol is at 10th and Bank Streets. If you choose to do a self-guided tour, you may download a brochure here or pick one up at the information desk inside the Bank Street entrance.  The Capitol is fully accessible to visitors with special needs. To set-up a guided tour reservation, you may call the Information desk at (804) 698-1788 or email

Finally, I look forward to seeing folks from back home while we are in Session, so if you plan to visit the Capitol during the months of January and February, please let my office know you are coming.  You may call my district office at (434) 946-9908 or my Richmond office (January and February) at (804) 698-1024. 

Participate in Virginia's Page Program

Each year the Speaker of the House of Delegates appoints students aged 13 and 14 years old from around the state to serve as House pages during the regular session of the General Assembly.  These students are tasked with assisting the members of the House of Delegates, the House Clerk's staff, and other legislative staff in the daily duties required during the session.  In addition, the Senate has the same program available.  If your son or daughter is interested, please click here for more information.